Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 3




I've always had a thing for extremes - once on TV there was a series about weather extremes, only my two most favourite things in the world, and it was all about the coldest/hottest/driest/wettest/windiest place on earth. Absolutely loved it.


I guess it was only a matter of time before I started on some extreme things for my self improvement files. Today Will and I learnt all about the deepest place on earth - the Mariana Trench. Ok so I already knew it was the deepest place on earth but that was the extent of my knowledge, but what I didn't know is that it's not far off the top of Australia (above Papua New Guinea) , is really long (about 25ookm), not that wide (69km) and really, really deep (about 11,000m or 11km which makes it sound even longer). The actual deepest part is called the Challenger Deep which is a small slot shaped valley in the floor of the Mariana Trench at the southern end of it. Shudder.


So we decided to take a look on Google Earth at it, and seriously, even though I think the images weren't real, it was very, very freaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment