Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dear 16 Year Old Me



This is gratefully borrowed from this (and please do watch this if you have a moment).

What would you say to your 16 year old self if you'd been able.

This is my letter to me.

Dear 16 year old Me,
Go love your mum, tell her you do, be with her, show her the adult you're going to grow into.  Because you're not going to get the chance for her to see it.  She'll be gone in 11 years from now.
Don't rush, you'll be doing that your whole life.
Look at those girls around you.  They'll be your friends for life.  Look after them.
Be a little crazy, you know when you feel that adrenalin charge when you do it sometimes, do it more, it's fun.
Don't worry about what you look like, it will get a little better.
Turn off the lights.
Don't just think you have to get married because everyone else is.  It will only end in tears.
Go have some fun.  You know what I mean.  More fun.  Do it.
Go exploring, get brave, be adventurous, otherwise you'll be in your 40's and go "uh-oh, better go exploring, better be brave, better have some adventures."
Be confident, just because you're surrounded by gorgeousness, doesn't mean you're not.
Smile more.  See  how those that do seem happier.  Watch and learn girl, watch and learn.
Just to warn you, your dad can be just like your mother moans about.  Don't get a surprise about that ok?.
Your sister will become your best friend.  Crazy I know but it will happen.
Even though you didn't have the most conventional role models, you will be a good mum.  Just trust your instincts and do what feels right.  Oh and watch others, those around you are an absolute fountain of knowledge.
You will find inspiration in so many surprising ways and from so many different people.
Don't be a victim.  Sadly, (and I'm sorry about this), but you'll probably have some reason to be.  Don't be.  Just be positive and use those experiences.  You'll be so much happier for it.
There are so many people far worse off than you.  You may not know this yet, but there are.  Try and help them.  If you can't, then be empathetic and don't judge.  Ok, that should be a separate line on it's own.
Don't judge.
You are in control of your life, don't just wait for it to happen, make it happen - I know that sounds like a cliche, but sometimes those cliches can be so wise..
Sometimes you'll feel that you're at the edge of something scary and wonderful and you're too scared to jump off.  Please jump.
Don't start drinking Diet Coke.  If you do, it will take you years and your 8 year old to get you off the stuff.  Just don't start.
Wear sunblock.  never baby oil, and never baby oil in the snow.
Don't get in the car with people who've been drinking.  Trust your gut, you know it is wrong.
Remember how quickly you grew up and away from your parents.  Remember when  you look at your kids, try and keep pace.
Be someone, be something, don't just be nothing.  You are better than that
Dear 16 Year Old Me, please be happy, please use these years and live a crazy, full and amazing life.


What would you write to your 16 year old self?

11 comments:

  1. Lovely! I can think of a million things I would say to my 16yr old self...maybe I ought to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. That bit about your mum made me feel so sad :( I love how looking back on our past selves makes us realise how much we've grown. I wonder what things I'll be telling my 2011 self in years to come??

    I did a similar post a couple of months ago (http://tea-and-vegemite-toast.blogspot.com/2011/04/things-id-tell-my-16-year-old-self.html). Sooo many things I'd tell my 16 year old self! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love your letter.

    Visiting via the Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice--so much wisdom here. My 16-year-old self should have heard this. I'm going to show it to my teenagers, even though they're boys. I would have told myself, Don't worry so much about what other people think (although I did hear that over and over, and I never started to follow it until decades later).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post. I'm not sure what I'd say to me at 16. "Stop eating gluten and dairy for starters. You'll feel a lot less sick and anxious." "School is not as important as you think it is." I probably wouldn't listen anyway.

    Visiting from the Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I'm always saying "if I knew then what I know now".

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeous post. I am still really close with my friends from when I was 16 (now 20 years later). I often think of what I know now compared to when I was a teenager.... I think it takes a few years to grow into your skin and be yourself.

    Hi from The Fibro

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this.
    Hindsight is such a treat, isn't it?

    I would definitely tell my 16yo self to chill out. Life is not as serious as you think. Not yet anyway.
    I would tell her - see your family as real people. People who have weathered storms you can barely comprehend, sweetheart.
    People are going to take advantage of your kind, generous nature. Give anyway. You'll love yourself for it.
    Do not buy scales. Do not have them in the house. Your weight is an inconsequential number. Don't let it be anything more.

    I could go on all day!!
    Like I said, love this post!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the sunblock is especially important. I have no idea if I would want to tell my 16 year old self! She was one crazy, mixed-up chick. She hasn't changed much :-) Thanks for joining the Rewind x

    ReplyDelete