Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 46


I've been thinking.  This blog could be all about my slippery slide into middle age-dom.  I'm not feeling it, but I'm certainly starting to SHOW it.  Friends no longer talk about Botox in the same hushed way we once talked about boob jobs, nup, it's starting to sound like it's lining up along with the waxes and eye lash tint on our list of regular-stuff-we-need-to-do-to-look-the-age-we-want-to-be.  I've started reading the ads, giving it some serious thought.
I'll own up.  I put sun"tan" lotion on my face, I held my face to the gods, willing some burning rays of NZ sun to put some colour on my face.  I had my last child at an age when like a pair of well loved undies, the elastic was no longer springing back in my face.  My face tells a tale of stress, children and sun.  My wrinkles have started to settle in nicely for the long haul.  "Not going anywhere now lady" they tease me, "we're just going to get deeper and longer.  That'll teach you."

And I've started noticing...marks appearing on my face.  I think they may be...gulp...age spots.  I could start to cover them up, but they're, well, quite dark.  Which would mean I would need some hefty concealer to do any damage, and that perma-tan look is usually the domain of WAGS or George Hamilton type older men.

So what they hey are they?  What is an age spot?

Ok, it gets worse.... LIVER SPOTS are blemishes on the skin associated with ageing and exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun. They range in color from light brown to red or black and are located in areas most often exposed to the sun, particularly the hands, face, shoulders, arms and forehead.  From the age of 40 onwards the skin is less able to regenerate from sun exposure, and liver spots are very common in this age group, particularly in those who spend time in the sunshine.  Some people wish to have these spots removed as they consider them unsightly; this can be done by electrosurgery, laser treatment or cryotherapy.

Jay-sus!

Post script:  If you want to lose all confidence in your looks and really start to feel your age, then attempt to take close up photos of your liver spots.  That'll do it!  Gawd, you can tell that forehead hasn't had any work!

No comments:

Post a Comment