Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sydney Stuff

I make no secret that we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, so this weekend with the weather awesome, we headed to the beaches, firstly Saturday we headed up north to Newport beach - all the beaches up north are just stunning, with gorgeous sand, turqoise water and are just easy to do. On Saturday though there was a nasty big surf, the kind that just smashes you if you misjudge the waves. And Will and I got totally smashed. I got myself in a"bad wave" situation where I hesitated for a smidge about whether to go toward or away from the wave as it hovered above me. I made the wrong call and paid for it. It was the kind of incident that if you'd been watching from the shore, you would have sucked in your breath quickly with a "oh!" Sunday though we were back for more, and met up with some friends at Manly - we normally do the get there early, leave lunchtime routine, these friends are "stayers" and make a day of it. This time the girls went in and got smashed together. We were all a bit hot, bothered and salty so headed home. Saturday night had been a lovely meal with some kiwi friends at Dee Why beach with a paddle in the moonlight after dinner.

Sometimes we just have to pinch ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we could have done all of this in Auckland, we just didn't do it as much or as easily as we do here, and I think that's what I love about Sydney. It's who I am and what I do here that I like. Gad this is a bit heavy for a Monday morning.

It wasn't all good though, we decided to find a vantage point (along with the rest of the Northern Beach families,) to watch the "historic" passing of the two massive cruise liners, we got there in the early evening, found a park (finally), found a spot (finally) and waited for the 6.30pm passing. And waited. And waited. Finally one went by (and as we were a wee way from it it didn't look as massive as I was hoping (with my love of large vessels, buildings, etc). And when we (finally) got home later and watched the news, we worked out we'd missed the passing of the two by minutes.

Still, only a small disappointment on a great Sydney weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment