Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Proud Mum


Do you ever have one of those moments where you're so proud of our kids that you have to gulp back the tears and ever so discretely wipe away the few that have escaped? 

I had one today. 

My biggest boy Will plays the trumpet, he started last year, and I am continually amazed how much progress he has made during this time.  I think it's a combination of a smidge of natural talent and a whole lot of enthusiastic band tutoring - incredibly, the school band conductor has managed to pull the kids out of their 3 note repetoire of 2009 to full on toe tapping tunes that make me shake my head in amazement. 

Will sits at the back and all I can see is his eyes over the top of his music stand.  But those eyes are my baby's eyes, my toddler's eyes and now my big boy's eyes.  My boy now sings to the music in between his bits and all his fellow trumpeters kind of rock along as they play.  (It's like a YMCA/ Staying Alive medley so not hard to get into the groove of it).  He's growing up and I couldn't be prouder.

He's just been at a 2 day band camp and I think they practiced more than they slept.  Right now, he's on the cusp of losing it (in a big kids way of course).  All my mothering instinct wants to do is bundle him up and put him to bed with a cuddle.  But sadly, there comes a time when you have to find other ways to look after them and show them how much you love them.

Here's my Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment