Thursday, February 14, 2008

Closing and Other Problems

Friday is my day for phone calls to charities and work stuff. I am becoming a little bit excellent at making the initial charity contacts, talking the talk and then getting off the phone with promises of sending templates, brand examples, documents etc. But it's the next step I really, really struggle with. The followup call when I am asking them to committ to something or do something. In other words, when I'm trying to close on the "deal". I try and avoid saying "look, if it's not something you're interested in, that's cool", as it's definitely not cool. This beast will not live unless I have lots of charities with me. And that means I gotta get good at the closing. Actually I've got to get good at making the call to initiate the closing, as more often than not I have a zillion reasons to avoid making a call.

Just like I'm doing right now.

Just got off the phone from a call-before-the-closing-call, and some really interesting, valid and potentially scary road block issues were raised. I was savvy enough not to panic and instead offered a "hmmm, you've raised a really interesting, valid point there, let me get back to you on that...."

Time to panic a smidge...and make some more calls!

No comments:

Post a Comment