Thursday, February 14, 2008

Those of you who know me...

...will know that I'm almost crippled by seeing sad or embarrassing things happen to people, and as you'll know, they stay with me, well for a very, very long time. Usually they're in situations when I'm unable to do anything, and the best thing would be to ignore them/forget about it.

For example, once in Dunedin when I was in my very late teens, I saw a blind man trying to cross a busy street and got stuck in the middle of the road. I was in a bus at the time and no doubt someone would have helped him, but I didn't see it, I only saw him and his cane and the busy traffic......sigh

And the other time, when I was on a bus on my way to work and I saw a man (who I'd seen a few times and I knew was a sort of street person) walk past a sign that must have had an edge jutting out but it ripped his shirt completely (and no doubt his arm) so his shirt just flapped down. He looked like he was in a hurry (maybe to a new job?) and now what was he going to wear (and it looked like a new shirt) - see what I mean....

Well last night, I was out for dinner with the lovely Caroline, who is maybe going to help with a bit of the business stuff, we were sitting amongst other valentine day diners when suddenly there was a massive downpour. And we watched as a middle age couple ran across the road and the man completely fell over in a puddle and lost his glasses and then knelt there not moving, getting wetter. Noone knew what to do (as his wife was there with him) and a few people stood up as if to go and help. The man eventually got up and moved on. We thought the best thing to do was not to stare and worsen his humiliation. But still - I'll add that to my sad story portfolio....

Actually I know this fact about me really annoys the crap out of my friend KT - just pre-empting any comments from you KT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment