Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 61



Band concert - Wednesday night.  It was one of those concerts where us parents had no idea what our kids were performing in, just that they needed to be at "Forest High" at 6.15pm in black trou (dirty), white school shirts (extremely dirty) and polished school shoes (they were for the school photos in May).  Of course I rushed like a mad woman from Rafe's swimming class, via McD's drive thru, and made it with a car full of boys and assorted McDonalds packaging.  Then it dawned on me as we saw the large hall being set up for a Big Event.  This was not going to be a quick, listen to the three songs the band was to play and then grab Will and scamper home for  A Farmer Wants a Wife, a beef stirfry and my big basket of washing to fold.  No we were here for an Event.  We were going to have to go the distance.  And I had the two younger boys with me (thank god they had shoes on for a change).  The Husband was on his way home apparently, but would be yonks.


An hour later, Will is up on the stage performing - picture me.  I have one little boy leaning on me, cuddling in to my cardi that I'd had to remove so he could cuddle in to it because he was so tired.  His big brother is leaning all over him.  They both have cupcake smear, smeared on their faces (thank god for the Forest High School Band Fundraising Cake Stall), they're both thirsty.  They are both extremely antsy, and one in particular is entertaining himself by kicking the chair loudly (if it was annoying me, I hate to think what it was doing to everyone else).  Quick check on the programme - 3 more bands x 4 songs each to come.  Time check 8pm.


Then Smith, in all his infinite loveliness, leans into me and whispers in my ear..."what is more dangerous...a salt water crocodile or a freshwater crocodile?".  "I'll get back to you on that one buddy"  I reply.  I love that boy so much.  Where did he come from?


So What is more dangerous - a saltwater or a freshwater crocodile?

Freshwater crocodiles are small. Females grow to about 2m, males can reach up to 3m, but it takes them 30 years to reach that size. Most of them are a lot smaller.  


Their maximum weight is about 90kg (compared to over a ton for a saltwater crocodile...)
The head is very distinctive, nothing like the heavy, solid, strong head of a saltwater crocodile. A freshwater crocodile has a small slender head with an unusually long snout for a crocodile.
Freshies are mainly fish eaters, but also take a variety of other small animals, whatever they can get hold of.  


Freshies aren't aggressive, rather shy, but if disturbed during the breeding season or if they feel threatened they may attack. Their teeth are razor sharp and they can inflict serious wounds.


Saltwater crocodiles are by far the most dangerous animals in Australia. 
They are huge, aggressive, territorial, and plentiful across the north of the Australian Outback. Australian salt water crocodiles kill on average one to two people a year.  
Australian saltwater crocodiles are the largest reptile in the world in terms of mass (can be over 1000kg), and the largest crocodile with a confirmed measurement.  



The males can reach a length of up to 6 or 7 metres (2.5 to 3m for females), though such a size is rare.The territorial nature of the males requires every mature male to have its own territory. As saltwater crocodile numbers increase they move further and further inland, and closer and closer to human settlements. 


And I wouldn't known that unless I'd had to sit through that concert!



No comments:

Post a Comment