Sunday, June 24, 2012

Where ever I lay my hat ....



I've had an epiphany.  It's a joyous, sun-appearing-from-behind-a-cloud kind of realisation.

You may know that we're living in a temporary place while we figure out what the hell we're doing  wait for another home to become available.  This place is teeny tiny, it has one teeny tiny bathroom, an unexpected lodger at the rear of the house, an outdoor laundry, and a lovely fireplace, and it's only 500 metres away from one of the most stunning beaches in Australia.  We are living out of suitcases, my eldest continues to live off the floor (the only difference instead of living in a sunny sloven in our old place, he lives in a small, dark sloven in this house).  The kitchen has a half stove that puts out a half heat, the owner promised me that she cooked Christmas dinner it it, now I know that she probably popped the turkey in the oven on the 23rd, and it's impossible to park at.  But somehow we all love this place, it is roasty toasty, cosy, and just has a lovely homely feel to it.  It seems to have become our family's temporary "happy place".

Which has got me thinking.
Neither The Husband nor I grew up with "much", actually who did back in those days?  If a toy got broken, you either did without or it got fixed badly (I'm thinking of the faux Barbie doll- "Cindy" that the Sister and I had, whose head fell off and got jammed back in for the next 5 years of it's life with a long stick in the neck/ head jamming kind of process which worked Just Fine.)
You didn't know you what you didn't have so you didn't care.  And sometimes you did know what you didn't have, and you still didn't care.  Our first couple of bikes were old ones lovingly and beautifully restored by our grandad.   We didn't care (did we Sister, or did I whinge for a Raleigh 20?, ok I have faint memories of whinging).
It was a time when we were grateful for what we had rather than upset for what we didn't have.  We didn't question it.

All I needed as child was my sister, my mum and dad, a hot water bottle in my bed, my dolls, my imagination...oh and my bike, as Mum didn't drive so that was our primary mode of transport from a young age.
Don't get me wrong, I lust after the most gorgeous of houses full with the most gorgeous and materialistic of possessions. But what I've realised is that I don't actually need it.
I don't need the "stuff", my kids certainly don't need the "stuff".  Because all we seem to need at the moment is a warm house, a hot water bottle in the kids beds at night, a cosy fire, a candle and each other. And that is doing us Just Fine.

We actually don't need much.
But what I did need was to realise this.

8 comments:

  1. Amen to that! Its so easy to look at Pinterest or other blogs and covet soooo many things. Then remind myself of exactly this point . Or read some wise words from someone else to make me realise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mon, and I'm guessing you more than most understand this. I'm going to reread my own words regularly to make them sink in when they're in danger of getting buried by House and garden mags, or toy catalogues x

      Delete
  2. Nail on the head! I try to tell my kids this when they whinge for the latest gadget or designer shoes, I'm sure they don't believe I never had any new clothing when I was a kid (except undies of course! for Christmas). We have all become way too materialistic lately (I do love my new MacPro Air though....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becci, my kids are the worst culprits, I think they all need re-training, or reminding of what actually matters

      Delete
  3. I love this post. It just took me back to my childhood - too many kids, not enough money but we never felt hard done by. There was always someone to play with and there was plenty of love. I too got a Cindy doll instead of a Barbie. Mine lost her feet and ended up as a paralympic double-foot amputee for gymnastics (in my imagination)

    Thanks for that walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No WAY, you had a Cindy too? I hope my sister reads this, we always we thought we were the only ones who lucked out with faux-Barbies!

      Delete
  4. We didn't have much as kids either - but we all had warm beds and food on the table ... and we had each other! But that really was all we needed. Great post Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I should just say I started off with a Cindy too! But I cut her hair short and she became the token male or poor cousin of Barbie...which I got when I turned 9. Which means I was still playing with Barbie then - something my now 10yr old thinks is really funny and babyish. Oh I was so much more innocent than today's 9 and 10yr olds!

    ReplyDelete