Sunday, December 23, 2012

It wouldn't be Christmas....



As another Christmas rolls around, it's a good time to reflect on the year thats been.  And it's been a biggie for me,  professionally and personally, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  You're either way too busy or too chilled to sit and read a long list of stuff, but I will crack out a couple of big milestones

I'm actually earning a (teeny-weeny-tiny) income from my writing and I have not submitted one piece of writing to an editor that I'm not proud of.  And I'm not saying that in a smug-tossy-bottom kind of way but I have been lucky enough to have such fabulous editors that have either asked me to write or let me write about inspirational topics.  And that is a gift.  The Husband can be extremely excited that I have probably earned enough money for pay for a few months worth of coffees for him (small cup size).

I ran a marathon.  And I did it joyously.  Not freaking out and losing the plot was my goal and I actually managed to achieved this. Highlight of my year hands down was the last 1km of that 42kms.  Many helped me there, you know who you all are.  I am very very grateful to you.

We moved into our own home.  Our own postage stamp of a property owned by us not some painful, money grubbing landlord.  The fact it took us two house moves this year, including 10 weeks in temporary accommodation, is immaterial.  Now.  It's ours.

We travelled to India.  And that first glimpse of the Taj Mahal, and seeing the explosion of colour and sound and emotion as Indians blessed themselves in the holy waters of the Ganges are images I will take with me to my grave.

Thank you to all you lovely folk who take the time to read my waffle.  I have tried to waffle with purpose, but sometimes life just gets in the way and all that comes out is a little nonsense.  Which you still read.  Thank you for reading my nonsense and waffle.  This post must have tugged at you a little because it was the one that you read the most.  And if you move on with a little more reflection because of it, then my job is done.  But please do come back in 2013 because  I am going to be writing like a woman possessed and I'd love if you kept me company.

And on Giving Back Girl, it's important to keep traditions alive.  You may remember how my friend Katie and I have been tormenting each other every Christmas since we were 18 and worked in a department store and listened to this on autorepeat for weeks on end. And even though as she reads this Katie is probably indignantly saying "You torment me Lisa, it's not a "we" thing" although you did this year and I call that a small victorious breakthrough.  It just wouldn't be Christmas without a wee dose of Jose Feliciano.

Merry Christmas everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment